Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I DO speak English, Mr Cab Driver

 
Warning: This post contains use of expletives and offensive language. If you are offended by such, read no further!

Imagine. You are late to work. So you call a cab. The cab driver seems to have a major problem with your paying with a credit card. "I can't call the card number in while I drive." So stop and do it you fuckwit! I never fucking asked you to take your fucking eyes off the fucking road now, did I? Then he goes like, "You people, you foreigners have more money than Americans, why can't you pay in cash?" Heh? What follows is worse. In a mock foreign accent, nowhere close to mine, and almost Eastern European, he goes, "Which count-ree are you from?" I kid you not. The 't' in 'count' is a soft 't' and the 'r' is clearly an Eastern European 'r'. I am like, "I am from India." "You from India (soft 'd' sound), so you Indian?" By this time my patience is starting to wear thin and so I go, "Yeah, that's what people from India are called, you know, like people from America are called Americans?" Then he goes, "We American good at fucking girls, you Indians not." Huh? Where the fuck did that come from? And what's with dropping verbs like you are trying to communicate to some English-challenged person? He then starts talking about how women are trouble. Finally he says it's good he doesn't have a squaw now, but he'll get one soon. I am not sure I hear him right, so I am like ,"What??". He's like, "Squaw. A woman. Geez you people don't even know English." Really, you mother fucking piece of shit? So, next you are gonna go around calling African Americans n****rs? I do know what squaw means, perhaps you don't know that it's an offensive and derogatory term. And don't even fucking think about putting your English up against mine. I'll fucking whip your sorry ass till you are so old you can't get it up for your "squaw" anymore.
It is the first time in my two years in the US that I have observed racial overtones to someone's behavior. Those who know me will definitely vouch for the fact that I am the absolute last person to ever accuse anyone of racism. Also, although just a tad more xenophobic than Troy, the people of this city have been very nice. These two factors have caused this incidence to come as a bit of a surprise, but I'll let it be.

7 Comments:

Blogger Minal said...

@Saurabh: Good bit u gave back but one faces such incidents abroad and at times even home. It's sick but rascism exits!!

5:43 AM  
Blogger Tugga said...

@Minu and Ketan: I am not naive and and am aware racism exists. I still like to find other explanations before I accuse some one of racism. Better that than viewing the world with the blindfold of cynicism. The cab driver might have been racist, but he might just have been xenophobic. I can't tell for sure, the boundaries often blur.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Tugga said...

@ Ketan: Cmon man, you know better than to accuse Dave of something as hideous as racism. He just likes to fuck around. Anyway, I am sure he's not racist. He's not a white supremacist. If anything, he's just a Dave supremacist:-)

6:31 PM  
Blogger Mumbai Monsoon said...

Haha... wait. Is Ketan calling Dave a retard ? Ah...we should be be in your living room with a half finished bottle of Chivas right now.

Love it. Glad you had the experience. I'm sure it's amusing in retrospect. Haha...sorry, but I just find the whole thing hillarious.

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

4:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home