Sunday, December 11, 2005

Apologize , Waz!

 
It would be an understatement to say that it shocked me. Wasim Akram, one of my idols, going on record to say that the ICC was run by "goras" or whites, who did not have the talent or the passion to do so. I have myself, in the past, been critical of several decisions taken by the ICC which have smacked of a racial bias. There is however, a thin line between accusing someone of racism(which is bad in the first place) and using racist slurs to undermine someone. Racism, along with untouchability, is a crime against humanity, and it just does not matter if it is a white person or a brown person doing it. It is simply unpardonable. I have seen this in the US where the minorities seem to be a lot less responsible about being politically correct. Indians, African Americans, Hispanics, it just doesn't seem to matter. A major persecution complex has fuelled a "reverse" racism among these communities. Wasim seems to have fallen prey to that too, in the large, cosmopolitan world that is the ICC. I still respect him as a cricketer, but no person who indulges in racism of any sort will ever be an idol of mine.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

That was sad that Wasim Akram had to go so low as to say that :(

However, he is was one of my idols :) what an awesome bowler he was!

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home