Thursday, December 15, 2005

Not the way

 
Over the past few years, I have been a strong critic of Ganguly's test match batting. I was definitely of the opinion that he should not have been selected for the Delhi test. But even I am appalled by the manner in which he was sacked from the third test. I thought he did quite well at Delhi. He seemed also, after a long time, to be enjoying being out there. I still dn't think he would cut much ice against quicks with any dgree of quality. But the fact remains that against SL and against Murali, he is way better than Yuvi. I don't know also, how much of a say Dravid and Chappell have in selection, but if they do, and if they were silent spectators or vocal contributors to what transpired at the selectors' meeting, the implications make me worry for some dark times ahead.
Update:Gaurav Sabnis has an excellent article on this here

4 Comments:

Blogger Minal said...

Hey Saurabh,
Ganguly's sacking ws unfair but reading Gaurav's article he seems to ask Dravid to take up the onus of speaking up for Ganguly! Why exactly?
And btw as per the media grapevine(again) wasn't Ganguly instrumental in asing Dravid to put on the gloves if he wanted to keep his place in the ODI side?

As long as we do not know what exactly transpired lets not point fingers! I don't agree with Ganguly being dropped in the manner he was, he did not deserve it. I sure as well don't agree to fingers being pointed at Dravid for not standing by Ganguly or stabing him the back. Please we hardly know the truth!

12:22 AM  
Blogger Tugga said...

The onus was definitely on Dravid to take a stand; as captain of the side, it is the least that one could expect of him. And like I said, his complicity is implied not just by actively keeping Ganguly out, which he mighn't have done, but by not speaking up for him. Maybe it was for the greater good, maybe they had problems between them, maybe he didn't fit in the bigger scheme of things, but anyone who says that Dravid did not have a hand in Ganguly's exclusion is kidding himself. Also disturbing are the concilatory noises made by both Dravid and Chappell followed by a volte-face. But you want my take on this? I shall mail you my conspiracy theory. I think it's too dark to write here.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Minal said...

Am awaiting your mail on this.
Not everyone has been doodh ka dhoola , so you start off and I'll respond on this as well.

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mere ko bhi bhej. in return i'l send u a trt for which u'l thank me for the rest of ur life. n am not kiddin on this.

- PK

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home