Friday, December 16, 2005

For the statistically minded

 


Just for fun, and spurred on by the post comparing Sachin's and Ganguly's performance in recent test matches, I decided to conduct a bit of research and here are the numbers. First though, the assumptions and methodology. For the 5 players discussed in this post, the statistics of their last 15 test matches were viewed. Performances against Zim and BD were dropped and the runs scored, 100s and averages evaluated. To be fair, the actual number of test matches played by each of these players against all opposition but Zim and BD were also recalculated.
What is the point of this, you wonder? Just this:
a) Throws the whole dumb Sachin-Ganguly email out of the window.
b) Shows that through this supposedly bad period, Sachin's fortunes have still been important to India.
c) Lara has been single handedly carrying the WI( but of course, you knew that)
d) What is happening to Lara now has dogged Sachin in his prime, a colossus in a team of under achievers
e) Dravid has been going through a relatively lean patch by his own standards
f) Ganguly and Laxman have both faltered.
g) I am a big VVS fan, but given these comparisons, I would have to say Ganguly is very unlucky. The only thing in VVS' favor is probably the brilliant 69 at Mumbai.


And finally, the point is this, don't bandy emails showing statistics and the likes to me. Statistics can be manipulated if youn only know how. For instance if I recognize the fact that Sachin missed a few tests in the dark period of the last one year, or consider only those most recent 15 tests which all the 4 Indian batsmen have played together, Sachin's figures would probably look less impressive while Dravid's, Laxman's and Ganguly's more than they do now.

Next post, I'll be back with Matt, Punter, Kallis and the likes..

9 Comments:

Blogger Minal said...

Thanks for doing this before me!

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey this is nice :) and yes, I agree with you on this: Statistics can be manipulated ;)

6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great one man! How i wish u and that guy who framed the email u referred to, end up sharing a bed for a night!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Tugga said...

@Dalvi:wtf????????????

4:40 PM  
Blogger Tugga said...

@truman:-)

@minal: my pleasure!

8:18 PM  
Blogger Minal said...

@Tugga & Mangi: You know the way you guys fight over at Tugga's blog and Mine, I think you have lost it!:-)
But it also reminds of good old college days...sigh i miss those, catching you guys get to each other LIVE in action;-)

1:15 AM  
Blogger Tugga said...

I thought it was more a case of us two geeting to you, in the 'good old college days'....

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea those were good times!!! But minal, i really was serious u know!!! :-)

Oh well... it cud have been me celebrating my first wedding anniversary in 4 days time... but for my bad luck!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Minal said...

@Tugga: That you gusy always do ya! Things haven't changed much;-)

@Mangi: Yes I know how serious you were, that's why you ditched me twice;-P. Now pay for it;-P

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home